About Continu Energy
Continu Energy is passionate about contributing to the Government’s Climate Action Plan target of no less than 70% electricity from renewable sources by 2030*.
Within Ireland, Continu have unparalleled experience and knowledge in the design, supply, install and ongoing service support of backup power and energy storage hardware and software equipment. This ‘Technology-led’ approach aims to assist the System Operators (Eirgrid/SONI) to make the grid more resilient and ‘flatten out’ the variable nature of RES.
C&I customers benefit from our experience in backup power together with well established ‘market ready’ technologies which deliver clean, efficient and secure ‘turnkey’ energy solutions, whilst ensuring resilience of your critical infrastructure.
* Ref ‘Shaping our Electricity Future’ – Eirgrid Group
Battery Energy Storage Systems
What are battery energy storage systems (BESS) and how do they work?
Battery Energy Storage Systems store electrical energy from both renewable and non-renewable sources for use when required. High energy users have the ability to come off the grid, flexibly. The DS3 market in Ireland enables organisations with energy consuming machinery and equipment to aggregate or trade their energy, which is greatly enhanced when introducing battery storage systems.
The grid operator is responsible for balancing supply and demand of electricity. With the introduction of more than 1600MW of Variable Renewable Energy (RES) in NI, balancing has become more challenging. At times of unexpected increases in demand, energy storage can be used to discharge power back to the Systems Operator (SONI) and Eirgrid. Participating in this ‘demand balancing’ provides businesses with significant rewards. Energy Storage is used to ‘smooth out’ the supply from RES which is unreliable by nature.
Why do we need energy storage now?
Energy Systems are going through a period of rapid and fundamental change due to the emergence of digital technologies, use of renewable energy sources and falling battery prices. This presents a variety of challenges to the grid and huge opportunities for business consumers. The historic, centralised model of energy systems that regarded consumers as passive is being overturned.
Continu offers battery storage solutions in partnership with global leading energy storage solution manufacturers. By storing electrical energy (BESS) the business consumer can manage variability from onsite renewable energy, balance supply and demand, and create new income streams.
The Northern Ireland generation of RES (Renewable Energy Sources) is world leading but supply outweighs demand. In order to meet government targets for the Island of Ireland and fully utilise our renewables as well as support the infrastructure requirements for E.V. fleets, we need battery energy storage.
The BESS Model
What are the benefits of a BESS System?
• Meet your sustainability targets and KPI’s
• Create substantial savings in Energy Bills
• Minimise your carbon footprint and eliminate reliance on diesel generators
• Eliminate need for costly grid connections to support E.V. fleets
• Integration with UPS system to ensure resilience of power
• Green, clean energy – Zero emissions
• Ability to come off the grid, flexibly.
• Reduce demand at peak times to support grid stability
• Facilitate a hybrid network of your energy assets, to earn more and buy less
• Participate in ‘demand balancing’ which offers significant rewards
• Energy Programmes such as DS3 are available to businesses to help facilitate the system operator running with higher levels of RES
• Smooth out the supply from your renewable generation which is unreliable by nature.
Is a BESS system right for your business?
• Your current energy usage
• Your Energy KPI’s • EV Fleet?
• Balance size of battery against resilience
• Cost – ‘value stack’
• Re-think the role of a conventional UPS – resilience requirements
• Calculate your future needs
Key features of Continu BESS
• Best in class modular and flexible energy storage system
• Designed for C&I and grid utility projects
• Compact for small footprint installations
• Minimal Opex for long term cost savings
• Manufactured in GB – exceptional lead times
• Energy trading and software services available
• Variety of finance options
• Turnkey solution – design, build, install, ongoing service
• The system is modular and expandable – plug and play factory built and tested solution.
Continu Energy BESS Project Steps
• Client and Continu Energy discussion to understand energy goals, sustainability goals, ‘green’ KPI’s.
• Client Complete Project Assessment Checklist.
• Continu Energy present client with initial assessment.
• Continu Energy present client with detailed feasibility study.
• Continu Energy present quote proposal for project.
Types of BESS:
Depending on your requirements, Continu Energy offers the following types of BESS.
• Flex-ESS1000: Utility scale modular energy storage system
• Flex-EV: EV charging system
Click on below image to download specific pdf brochure. (Note: Links not operational yet).
Your BESS questions answered
This section is under construction…